City of North Battleford - Saskatchewan

Roads & Alleys





Why did I get a parking ticket when the sweeper or grader didn’t go down my street?


The purpose of No Parking times is to provide a time period for street maintenance such as street cleaning, street sweeping, snow removal, sanding, grading, etc.


Please note that Parking restrictions are enforced by Community Safety Officers even if maintenance is not in progress during the designated time. Please refer to the Parking Restriction Map in Traffic Bylaw 1946, Schedule J map or via our website under MapsRoadwaysParking Restrictions.


I need to park on the street during the no parking period.  What can I do?


Contact City Hall at 306-445-1700 to explain why you need to park on the street during the restricted time. A street use permit may be issued and the Community Safety Officers will be informed to not ticket the permitted area. Permits are often granted for major events such as Weddings & Graduations.


Why do some streets have parking and no parking on the same day?


There are a number of streets that have two different days for parking. In cases like Bluejay Crescent, Abbott Avenue, Foley Drive or Henderson Drive, if the street turns approximately 90 degrees, City Administration changed a portion of the street’s no parking to another day to allow for residents to move their vehicle on the street to another portion of the same street  during the No Parking day and not get ticketed. 


Temporary Road and Sidewalk Closures


How do I close the road/sidewalk due to construction/renovations to my property?


The first step is to apply for a temporary street permit which is purchased from the City. Please refer to the Temporary Street Use Permit part of the Traffic Bylaw 1946 (and Schedules).


What information do I need to apply for a Temporary Street Use Permit?


  1. Who is closing the road/sidewalk?
  2. The applicant address?
  3. The applicant telephone number?
  4. The type of closure, I.e.: sidewalk, street, alley, boulevard or other?
  5. How long will the road/sidewalk will be closed?
  6. A diagram of the closure area.
  7. A Traffic/Pedestrian Accommodation Plan to include:
    1. Signage required i.e.: detour, road closure, road closure ahead, squeeze left/right, work zone, end of work zone, etc.
    2. What barricades will be required?
    3. Will the barricades be rented from the City?
    4. What road/sidewalk accommodations is being provided for detouring pedestrians and traffic around the site.
    5. Any other pertinent information to the road/sidewalk closure. 


Does the City provide Traffic/Pedestrian Accommodation Plans?


No.  That is the responsibility of the contractor or property owner who is wishing the street/sidewalk closed. 


Who reviews the Traffic/Pedestrian Accommodation Plans once completed?


The City will review the Plans and may make recommendations to the applicant.


Can any road/sidewalk be closed at any time?


No.  The City reserves the right to deny road/sidewalk closures depending on the time of year, the length of time of the proposed closure or the proposed road/sidewalk to be temporarily.


Will the City rent barricades?


Yes, if the City has barricades available and are not planning to use them on a project in the near future.


Will the City rent traffic signs?


No.  Sign rental can be obtained from commercial traffic sign companies.


Will the City take responsibility for the road closure?




Will the City provide staffing to direct traffic?




Can the temporary street/sidewalk closure be extended?


Depending on the situation, the location and length of the closure to date, and the proposed additional time requested, the City may extend or reissue a temporary street/sidewalk closure.




What is a pothole?


Potholes are areas of road surface that have cracked, worn away, and eventually formed a hole.


What causes a pothole?


Potholes are caused by the expansion and contraction of ground water after the water has entered into the ground under the pavement. When water freezes, it expands and takes up more space under the pavement. The pavement will then expand, bend, and crack, which weakens the material pavement. When the ice melts, the pavement contracts and leaves gaps or voids in the surface under the pavement, where water can get in and be trapped. If the water freezes and thaws over and over, the pavement will weaken and continue cracking.


As the weight of cars and trucks pass over the weak spot in the road, pieces of the roadway material weaken, which will cause the material to break down from the weight creating a pothole.

 Potholes cause problems for motorists and city maintenance crews during the spring as we experience the freeze thaw cycle more frequently. As the roads become bare, more cracks are exposed making pavement even more vulnerable.


How do I report a pothole in the street?


If you see a significant pothole, call City Hall and report it to Central Reception 306-445-1700. They will record the location of the pothole and contact Road Maintenance to assess, and if necessary, fill in the pothole.


I damaged my car when I hit a pothole.  What do I do to make a damage claim?


If your car is damaged by a pothole you must make claim through your insurance company. The City will not enter into negotiations regarding vehicle damage claims.  Your insurer will ask you the following questions:


  1. When did the damage happen?
  2. Where was the pothole?
  3. What damage was caused to the vehicle?
  4. How fast were your travelling when you drove into the pothole?
  5. Could you have avoided the pothole?
  6. Were there any witnesses?
  7. What did you do after hitting the pothole?
  8. Did you notify the City of North Battleford?


The City reminds motorists to adhere to road conditions.  If you see a pothole, slow down. If the pothole is full of water, try to avoid it, as you do not know how deep the pothole is.




Construction equipment drove over my sidewalk and broke it. Will the City repair it?


We will assess the sidewalk to determine how it broke and the age of the sidewalk. If heavy equipment caused the damage, the contractor or property owner will be charged for the repair. If it is necessary for someone to drive over the sidewalk, they should contact City Hall to receive instructions on how to do so properly.


A tree next to my sidewalk has cracked and lifted the sidewalk.  Will the City fix it? 


The cracking of sidewalk with uneven vertical displacement are know as “trips”.  If the trip has a vertical displacement of a ¼ of an inch (6 mm) or more, the City will try to remove it under the sidewalk trip removal program. 


The City has a sidewalk trip program where they assign a contractor to a particular area to inspect each sidewalk and remove the vertical displacement cracks.  However, If the trip is extreme, further measures may have to be taken by the City including the removal and re-pouring of the concrete sidewalk panels, and/or removal of the offending tree root and/or tree. 


If a resident notes a trip hazard that exceeds ¼ inch in height, please call the City at 306-445-1700 with the location of the trip.





When does the City start plowing snow?


The City will start plowing snow when it gets to be approximately 4 to 8 inches high.  In back alley’s, the snow has to be approximately 12 inches high.


How does the City determine which streets to snow plow first?


Each street has been given a priority rating.  See Maps –  RoadwaysSnow Removal Plowing Map.


Priority 1 streets are major traffic routes or those used by emergency services.  These include the downtown area, Pioneer Ave, the Railway Avenues, Carlton Trail, Heritage Way, 11th Ave to the Hospital, etc. Priority 1 streets are cleaned within the first three days after a snow fall event.


Priority 2 streets “collect” traffic from other areas of the City and direct them to Priority 1 streets.  These streets include 110th St, 15th Ave, Diefenbaker Ave, Douglas Ave, 19th Ave, etc. Priority 2 streets are cleaned within 7 days of a major weather event. 


Priority 3 streets are low traffic residential streets and some of Parson Industrial Park. These streets are cleaned after Priority 1 and 2 roads have been cleaned following the No Parking schedule.


Back alleys are cleaned last, and only if requested and if the snow is 12” or higher. However, if a snow storm occurs before all the streets have been cleaned from a previous snow fall, the City will start over again by cleaning Priority 1 streets first.  


What is a windrow?  


A snow windrow is the pile of snow that accumulates at the edge of the road, which may include a driveway, when the road is plowed.


Why does the City windrow some streets and not others?


Snow windrowing is done on residential streets or business areas that do not have sidewalks. The most efficient method to plow snow is to push it into a long continuous pile (windrow) along the side of the street.  Downtown, the snow is windrowed into the centre of the street and picked up at a later date to provide enough room for fire trucks and emergency vehicles to operate. 


Where there are residential and business driveways or alley entrances, City crews do their best to leave an opening in the windrow to allow vehicles to pass through.


Why does the snow plow leave a windrow at the end of my driveway? 


Plow operators do not intentionally block driveways with snow. The plows have limited control over the amount and direction of snow that comes off the snow gate on the grader plow. There are a number of reasons why a snow windrow may have been left in front of your driveway. 


  1. If the grader operator cannot clearly see the property owner’s driveway because it’s covered with snow, they cannot drop the snow gate to stop the flow of snow. 


  1. Double or triple driveways are too wide to clear fully as the snow gate cannot hold that much snow back. Therefore, the grader operator will make a best judgement as to when to allow the snow to flow off the gate. The operator’s schedule does not permit them to go back and widen the opening. Therefore, the property owner may widen the windrow themselves or hire a private company to do so.  However, the snow from the removed windrow cannot be placed on the street as it creates hazardous traffic conditions that could result in an accident. 

Where a back alley entrance or neighbour’s driveway is close to their driveway entrance, or the driveway is next to a street crossing, the grader operator will make a best judgement when to close or open the snow gate.  


  1. City policy allows for a maximum 12 inch high snow ridge to be left.  Be careful driving through a windrow with your car as you may get stuck or damage your vehicle. Property owners should shovel the ridge to the windrow if concerned. SUVs and trucks should be able to drive over the ridge with no problems.


I park on the street and have an opening in the snow windrow to pass through from my sidewalk to the street.  Will the city keep it open?


No. If the property owner wishes to have the opening, they must remove the snow windrow themselves.


I do not want the windrow in front of my property.  Will the City remove it?


No. The homeowner may remove the snow windrow themselves or hire a contractor to remove the snow.  The City will not reimburse the property owner to remove the windrow nor can the snow from the removed windrow be placed on the road that was cleared, or placed in such a way as to impede or cause a dangerous situation to either passing traffic or pedestrians.


If I remove the snow windrow, the next time the City plows the street, will they remove it?


No. The only time City crews will remove windrows is if the Roads Foreman feels the driving lane has become too narrow resulting in a safety hazard. 


The City left a windrow on my sidewalk. What do I do?


If the windrow covers more than 50% of the sidewalk, please contact City Hall 306-445-1700.  A city employee will come out and assess and if found to be covering more than 50%, will arrange to have the windrow removed from the sidewalk. 


If the windrow covers less than 50% of the sidewalk, the property owner is responsible for cleaning the area that is not covered by the windrow. No ticket will be issued.


Why does the City not remove all the snow on city street?


It is more cost effective to push the snow to the side of the street and allow it to melt than pick it up and haul it to an official snow dump. 


Can I push my parking lot or driveway snow on to the street?


No.  Property owners are not permitted to throw snow from their driveway or parking lot onto city streets.  It must be placed on your property so when the snow melts, it flows directly into a drainage ditch or the City’s storm water system. 


Can I push my parking lot or driveway snow in to a drainage ditch?


Property owners are not permitted to throw or pile their driveway or parking lot snow into City drainage ditches.  The plowed snow usually contains sand and gravel which will fill up the drainage ditch when the snow melts and may cause flooding.


If there is a ditch next to your property, pile the snow on your property allowing the melt water from the snow pile to flow into the drainage ditch.  The sand and gravel will stay on your property where you can pick it up and use it again in the following year.

What happens when a car is parked on the street during snow removal?   


Please remove parked vehicles from the street during snow plowing or clearing operations. Parked cars not only slow down the operation, but also leave large amounts of snow on the road after the car is moved, which is inconvenient for everyone and dangerous.  Snow removal equipment will not come back to pick up any snow left behind due to parked vehicles. 

Why was my street missed?   


Severe weather conditions, mandatory working regulations, and other factors may delay our ability to clear all City roads of snow and ice. Even when all of our equipment is at work, heavy or drifting snow may re-cover streets before repeat clearing is possible. We ask that you give us time to manage the snowstorm. Also, if there are too many vehicles parked on the street during snow removal periods, City crews will bypass the street rather than risk damaging vehicles.


Which sidewalks are the responsibility of residents, business owners and the City?  


Downtown business owners are asked to clear snow and ice from their sidewalks within 24 hours and residents within 48 hours after a snowfall in accordance to City Bylaw 1900 Section 5.1. The City is responsible for clearing snow and ice from City sidewalks.


I am a senior, what services can the City provide me for snow removal?  


There are several snow removal companies that will provide this service for a fee.  In addition there is a number of non-profit organizations that will also assist.  You can also ask your neighbors if they can help you and then feel free to nominate them as part of the Snow Angel Program through the City.

How do I nominate some as a Snow Angel?  


            Contact City Hall at 306-445-1700.


What can I do to help?  


  • Sometimes it takes a couple passes with the plow to completely clear the street. Wait until plowing is completed, and you will only have to shovel your driveway once.
  • When you shovel your driveway, place the snow "downstream" so your driveway won't be filled in the next time the plow comes by.
  • Observe snow Bylaws.
  • Don't park on a City street when it’s scheduled for snow removal.
  • Don't push snow from a driveway or parking lot onto a City street or sidewalk.
  • Don't park your vehicle at the end of your driveway in a way that would impede City plows.
  • Don't place garbage or garbage containers where they can be buried, damaged or interfere with snow removal.
  • Avoid unnecessary spinning of tires at intersections. This practice is dangerous and hazardous to other motorists. It also tends to "ice up" the intersections.

We attempt to minimize the impact of snow and ice. However, it is each motorist's responsibility to drive according to road conditions.