Please refer to the section "Cats and Dogs" for information on Pet Licensing fees for dogs, cats, dangerous dogs and exotic animals.
Wildlife in North Battleford
As Cities expand and residential areas inadvertently provide food and shelter for wildlife, it is not uncommon to see skunks, raccoons, porcupines, badgers, foxes, coyotes, deer, moose or even bears within City limits. And while it might be exciting at first, wildlife encounters can be dangerous and should be prevented and reported immediately.
Make Your Home Unattractive to Animals
The best way to prevent wildlife encounters on properties is to provide no shelter or food source for wild animals.
- Keep your yard clean by removing junk, piles of branches and grass clippings
- Close in spaces underneath decks, patios and storage sheds
- Keep garbage bins closed
- Feed pets inside and remove bird feed dropped on the ground (pet food left outside and bird feed can attract wildlife)
- Practice proper composting
Keep Safe Distance, Report Immediately
If you come across any of the above-mentioned animals, it is important to act appropriately—confrontations with humans are very stressful for an animal and can result in serious injuries. Especially when encountering larger animals, it is crucial to follow these steps:
Do not approach, try to feed, touch or take pictures of a wild animal
Stay calm, back off slowly—do not run
Warn others and report immediately (see back)
If you find a dead animal, please do not touch or try to move it and report immediately as well. Carcasses can pose health risks to both humans and animals and need to be taken care of properly.
Who to contact
Depending on the animal, different agencies are in charge of responding. However, if you are uncertain, you can always phone either one of the agencies and they will forward your call to the right department.
Ideally, please report:
- Live wild animals to the Ministry of Environment’s TiP Line 800-667-7561
- Dead animals to the City of North Battleford, Department of Operations at 306-445-1700
- Nuisance stray cats or dogs, dangerous dogs or domestic animals at large (cattle, horses, chickens, pigs, hogs, turkeys, mules, sheep, or goats) to Municipal Enforcement at 306-445-1775
For concerns regarding animal welfare, please contact the Battlefords Humane Society at 306-446-2700.