City of North Battleford - Saskatchewan

What goes where?

For an overview of garbage and recyclable materials and the recent changes to the recycling program, please visit the Waste Collection/Pickup section.


The following materials can be disposed of at different facilities in the City:

Asbestos Containing Material (ACM)

Staff at the Waste Management Facility will be screening for possible ACM. The most common ones are vermiculite insulation, blown-in insulation, and acoustic ceiling tiles. Please bring an MSDS, Product Label, or results from an accredited lab as proof as non-ACM. Not sure if it is ACM or has some ACM to dispose of? Contact the Environmental Manager at City Hall for information.


Light ballasts from florescent lights can be disposed of at the Waste Management Facility (let scale attendant know).


Drop off rechargeable batteries and tiny batteries (watch and hearing aid batteries) at City Hall, Battlefords CO-OP Aquatic Centre or NationsWEST Field House for proper disposal. Alkaline batteries are permitted in the regular garbage. Car batteries must be disposed of at the landfill.


Yard waste and compostable materials must be transported to the Waste Management Facility. There is no charge at the WMF for yard waste (grass clippings, leaves) and compostable material. However, trees and branches are not compostable materials; therefore, a fee will apply.

The City offers a Free Compost Collection Program/Leaves Pick Up Program in the fall of each year. 2018 dates will be announced shortly. Please place your bagged leaves, grass clippings and garden waste where you usually place your garbage bin for pick up (please leave on the property, not on street). The free pick up of composting material will take place on the same days when Parking Restrictions are in place, during the week.

Please use only clear or translucent bags and bag only leaves, grass clippings and garden waste (plant tops, vines, vegetables). Bags that are filled with non-compostable material, including branches, will not be picked up.

For Frequently Asked Questions regarding Composting, click here.

Do you want to learn more about composting? Check out these 60-second videos:

Fluorescent Bulbs

These lightbulbs are accepted at City Hall in small quantities. There are containers in the entryway. Businesses that want to drop off large loads of fluorescent bulbs can take them to the Waste Management Facility. The bulbs must be secured or in a box. Broken bulbs will be accepted if they are in a sealed container.


Place the glass in the garbage bin or transport it to the glass depot at the Waste Management Facility. There is no charge at the WMF for glass as it will be broken down and utilized as landfill cover.

Household Hazardous Waste

The City of North Battleford hosts two Household Hazardous Waste Days (HHWD) per year.
During the HHWD residents can drop off hazardous materials free of charge.


Date: Saturday, September 19, 2020
Time: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Location: Public Works Shop, 11112 6th Avenue

Click on the Household Hazardous Waste tab in our Frequently Asked Questions section for more information.

Download a List of accepted Household Hazardous Waste here.

5 Gallon Water Jugs

The Waste Management Facility does not accept 5-gallon water jugs as they are not accepted by our recycling service provider.