City of North Battleford - Saskatchewan

Water and Sewer Utilities

The City of North Battleford operates the water utility for local residents and businesses. The utility bill includes fees for water, sewer, waste management, recycling and Underground Pipeline and Asphalt Replacement  (UPAR).

Make payment or application for a new connection

Sign up for E-Billing to receive your utility bills electronically

Unsubscribe from E-Billing

Late payment text message reminder Click here to subscribe
When you sign up for these alerts will be sent to you if your account is past due and 
is scheduled to be shut off for non-payment. Click on the above link and fill out the requested information to receive a reminder by text message, should your account ever become past due.

Helpful Documents regarding your utility bill:

How to read your monthly bill (tenants only)

How to read your quarterly bill (property owners only)

Frequently Asked Questions about general utility billing, water connection and disconnection

Please go to Make Payment tab to see payment options for your utility bill.

Please call our Utility Clerk at 306-445-1707 for more information.

Do you have lead service lines in your house?

According to files, there are 369 properties in the City of North Battleford with lead service lines. Lead service lines were a common practice in homes being built before the 1980s. Through a process called corrosion, lead can leach from lead service water lines into drinking water and can be harmful to human health, especially for young children, infants and pregnant women. The City of North Battleford offers an Annual Monitoring Program to those properties (usually gets sent out in August) to test the drinking water for lead levels. Results are provided to each property.

The best option to reduce the exposure to lead from lead service lines is to remove those lines and replace them with plastic pipe. There are two options available for City residents (cost-share options are available): Replacement in conjunction with the Underground Pipe and Asphalt Replacement (UPAR) Program OR replacement outside of UPAR.

Please contact City Hall for more information. If you have lead service lines in your house and would like to sign up for the Annual Monitoring Program, please let us know (contact City Hall).