North Battleford formed its first fire brigade in 1906. At that time, notification of alarms came from bells. Even the Empress Theatre was engaged in 1915 to flicker the ceiling lights three times in the event of a fire emergency to notify any firemen in attendance that they were required.
From its early formation in the 1930s, the North Battleford Fire Department (NBFD) moved into permanent quarters in the combined City Hall/Police Station at 1201 King Street (now 101st Street) and was equipped with a horse drawn fire apparatus.
On July 1st, 1953, the City of North Battleford hired A.L. Thompson as its first salaried Fire Chief. In March of 1955, the City recruited its first resident live-in firefighter, Howard Morris. Morris lived at the Fire Hall for roughly 15 years and outside of work hours was noted as being there about 98% of the time.
In 1981, the NBFD moved into its new building at 902-104th Street, where it still stands today.